Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Happy 9th Anniversary!

Dear Andrew,

I'm sure that 9 years ago today, when you vowed in front of several hundred people to love me in sickness and in health, you never expected how true those words would someday be. Can you believe it's been 6 months since we were at Scott & White in the ICU waiting to hear something about the problems with my breathing? It's been 6 months since you spent virtually every waking moment either with the kids or by my side, waiting to see if my body would ever return to breathing on its own. I want you to know that your efforts were not in vein - I may not have been aware of everything you did for me and the kids while I was sedated on the ventilator for 2 weeks, but I thank God every day for giving me a husband who was willing to stay by me and do everything possible to help me get better. I heard people say over and over again about how you stayed with me late into the night rubbing my head or my feet to help me sleep, how you played praise music all the time from the computer, how you made sure that Peter was keeping a consistent routine, how you would talk to me and tell me about things that were going on even though I was completely unresponsive, about how you dropped everything to make sure that I was getting the best possible care. You will never know how much that means to me. I may not have been the best patient once I woke up (I'm sure being sedated had something to do with my perfect compliance while I was sick :) ), and I may have fought with you and argued with you when you tried to get me to do something that you knew would help me get better. I may have been more emotional than you expected and quite hard to handle at times. However, even thought I didn't show it, I appreciate everything you did for me and all the encouragement you gave me while I was recovering. I love you more than you'll ever know, and I'm so thankful that God decided to give me a second chance to continue in life with you and love you. Happy Anniversary, Sweetheart. I look forward to many, many, more!

Love,
me

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, where's the "Like" button?

Elizabeth said...

beautiful letter Kara, and such an awesome example of marriage vows y'all have shown. Happy Anniversary!

Rebecca said...

Aw, made me cry!

A little warning next time....

Mya and River said...

Ummm, tears!!! So perfectly written. You two are so blessed to have each other. There aren't many couples out there that are as wonderfully matched as you guys. Happy anniversary!!

Jenn said...

awe, now I can't quit crying (some of it's the hormones, most of it's your letter ;). Happy anniversary! Hope y'all had a nice celebration.