Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Rain!!!

Rain is a very rare site around here, so we were excited to see it today! After our visit to the chiropractor, Peter and I decided to take a walk around the block. I knew it was supposed to rain at some point today, but I wasn't sure exactly when it was supposed to start. About halfway around the block, we started feeling sprinkles. I figured that Peter would be ready to head towards home. I figured wrong. He decided that playing in the rain was way too much fun. A man saw us walking in the rain and actually offered us an umbrella. It was a very nice gesture, but I figured that it would be easier to just let Peter play in the rain and have fun than convince him to actually walk next to me or let me hold him under the umbrella. I did finally get him turned around towards home, and the rain started coming down harder.

Peter would stop, touch the ground, then put his finger in his mouth and say "mmmm". He was tasting the rain! I taught him how to stick out his tongue to catch raindrops. He loved it! Once I finally got him home, it was raining really hard. I let him stay on the porch for a few minutes to watch the rain fall off the roof. If you look closely enough, you can see him sticking out his tongue in the 2nd picture to taste the rain. :)


We were both really wet when we finally got inside, so it was definitely time for a bath and warm jammies.

Peter's favorite after-bathtime ritual - running around his room in just his towel. :)
Once we finally got back downstairs, I turned on the TV. I absolutely LOVE watching the weather during storms like this, but it was a bit disturbing to see all of the red and pink headed straight towards us! A little before 6pm, the hail started. We heard it coming through Peter's baby monitor first. Peter freaked out and wanted to be held, and Homer just started barking.

I opened the front door, and this is what I saw. The largest hail I saw was about the size of a quarter. I'm sure my car will show the damage when I look at it in the morning.
I grabbed a piece of hail quickly from the front porch (while Peter was trying desperately to get back outside to play!). This is the hail compared to an outlet safety cover. I tried to find a nickel (I think that would be the closest comparison), but Peter has put every coin in the house in his piggy bank.

By the time Daddy got home, the hail had stopped and only rain was falling. Peter finished his soup and then shared Daddy's soup.

By the time Peter went to bed at 7pm, the sun had come out again!

God ~ Thanks for the rain! We can't wait to play in it again!! :)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I absoluetly love that you let him play in the rain! I know a lot of mommy's who would never do that.

what fun!

Rebecca said...

Glad you guys had fun. We sat on the front porch and sang "The rain, rain, rain came down, down, down" from Winnie the Pooh.