Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I knew it would come in handy one day...

I am the world's worst pack rat. Ok, maybe there is someone worse than me, but I'm pretty bad. I have the hardest time letting go of things. My brain keeps asking..."But what if you need this one day?" Well, for probably the first time ever, I was able to tell my brain..."Yes, I finally need it." We got many appliances as wedding gifts. We have actually used most of them, but in the 6 (almost 7) years that we have been married, I don't think I have ever used my food processor.

Until tonight.


I made sweet potatoes. Now I know you are asking . . . why in the world would she use a food processor to make sweet potatoes? Well, because the person eating them has no teeth! Although I did take a little taste (and discovered that sweet potatoes aren't as bad as I remembered!), I made them for Peter. Now you are probably saying . . . Um, do you know that Gerber has already done that and packaged everything in neat little jars?

Yes, I know. However, I really wanted to make Peter's food. It wasn't hard at all. I peeled the sweet potatoes, cut them in small chunks, boiled them, and then pureed them with the water that they boiled in. Now they are in ice trays freezing into small portions. For $1.68, I made 26 portions! That comes out to be about $0.07 per portion (Now I have a reason to tell my students when they ask why I teach them how to find unit rate!). That's pretty cheap! Now the real test comes tomorrow . . . does Peter like sweet potatoes?
Stay tuned . . .

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I think it's really neat that you made Peter's food, for the record. : )

Kara Hazen said...

Thanks - it was SO easy! Now if I can only convince him that sweet potatoes are really delicious. :)