Sunday, October 19, 2008

Loooonnnnnnnngggggggg Walk!

After getting home from HEB this afternoon, we realized that we had forgotten to get batteries for Peter's house toy. The weather today was BEAUTIFUL, so we decided to walk to Randalls to get batteries. Peter loves being outside, so we knew he would enjoy the walk. We loaded Peter into the stroller, made sure to have his water cup and lots of Cheerios, and set off.

Now, I haven't walked farther than around the block in uh, well, a LONG time. Randalls is a little over a mile from the house. Needless to say, I was quite tired by the time we got there. We bought the batteries and grabbed a couple of sodas from the machine before heading back home.
Notice anything different about Peter? He's wearing shoes! This is the first time he has ever worn shoes. He kept trying to get them off at first, but he got used to them fairly quickly. These shoes are called Robeez, and I got them for free. Quite the deal! :)
Instead of backtracking, we decided to walk home a different (slightly longer!) way. About a third of a mile along the way, we walked past a park. They had toddler swings, so we stopped to swing and slide. The park has picnic tables and grills - a great place for a picnic in the future!
Finally, we were on our way home again. I'm really not sure how I made it home. We walked a total of 3 miles!! I was wearing flipflops (I know, I know ... next time I'll wear tennis shoes!), so my feet are pretty sore. I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow, but it was wonderful to get out and just enjoy the weather and family time. Maybe we'll try it again next weekend. :)
Peter was bathed and in bed by 7:15. He was worn out! Andrew and I enjoyed a nice dinner together (Chinese take-out!) after Peter was asleep. Now, even thought it's only 8:40pm, I'm headed to bed. I'm exhausted!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

How did you get free Robeez?

(Yes, somehow the bargain is the main point of this post for me.)

I think it's neat that you guys walked to the store. I bet Peter loved it!

Kara Hazen said...

I signed for the mailing list for USA Baby, and they sent me a coupon for free Robeez. Provided the pair of shoes I got for free retails for $26, I'd say that I got a great deal! The store is very expensive, though, so I don't anticipate doing any other shopping there.