Friday, June 25, 2010

Danielle's New Do

The back of Danielle's skull is flatter than it should be, so she is now wearing a DOC band to help reshape the areas that need to be rounded out. She has had the band on for a week and a half, and I don't even think she notices that it's there. It only weighs 6 oz, so it's very light. The only difference is that we can't take her outside very much due to the heat. She wears it for 23 hours a day - it comes off for cleaning and bath time. We think that she'll be done with it in 8-12 weeks, so we're looking forward to seeing GREAT results!!!

I was a bit unsure emotionally of having her wear it at first, but it's really become just a normal part of our routine. A few people have asked why she's wearing it when I take her out, but they seem satisfied with the answer, "It's helping to reshape her skull." I've noticed that it's mostly kids that stare and wonder what it is. I read stories of moms who were upset that people stopped looking at their babies entirely, but we still have many people who stop to talk to Danielle and tell me how beautiful she is.

Because she wears it for most of the day, many pictures over the next few months will have her wearing the band. I just wanted everyone to know what it was and what it is for!


2 comments:

Rebecca said...

She is beautiful!

Jenn said...

She's adorable, and I'm so glad to hear it's introduction has been less dramatic and traumatic than anticipated. Have a great time in Jersey!