Monday, February 11, 2008

Dear God . . . Thank you for my refrigerator!

I worked at a Christian Day Camp for 5 summers while I was in college. Every morning, after the "Big Chief" would lead singing and tell a story, the children were invited to pray out loud. I used to chuckle at some of their prayers...

"Dear God . . . Thank you for the trees."
"Dear God . . . Thank you for my bed."
"Dear God . . . Please take care of my pet lizard that died 5 years ago."

After last weekend, I find myself praying a similar prayer.

"Dear God . . . Thank you for my refrigerator. Please help us get it fixed!"

Our refrigerator/freezer stopped working last weekend. We have had to throw out everything - including breastmilk that I had frozen for Peter. Throwing out chicken nuggets is one thing, but breastmilk is liquid gold! Luckily we caught it in time to get the milk from the refrigerator frozen in the deep freeze. Someone is coming on Wednesday to look at our fridge, but until then, we have no way of keeping things cold. I didn't realize how much I take my appliances for granted!

The prayers of the children may have seemed a bit silly to me, but they were not silly to God. He loves it when we thank Him for things He has given us. As Peter gets older, and I'm teaching him to pray, I will never laugh at him as he spends 10 minutes thanking God for each toy and piece of furniture in his room. God has provided all that we have, and we should be thankful for everything . . . even refrigerators!

No comments: