Friday, March 5, 2010

Q & A

Q - How did Peter do with you being gone so long? How is he doing with Danielle?

A - Let me first say that I'm so glad that Peter is only 2!! He does not really have a concept of time, so I don't think the three weeks I was in the hospital felt as long to him as they really were. He was kept occupied with his time at Krista's and all of the visitors that were in and out of the house. I don't think that he will remember any of this in the future, so I'm so glad that his age protected him from really being affected by Mommy being gone. When I did arrive home, he quickly climbed in my lap and things soon seemed as if I had never been gone. I did notice, however, that he is now willing to go to Daddy for more things than before. He was always a Mommy's boy, so it's helpful that he's ok with other people doing things for him or helping him when he's hurt.

As far as with Danielle, that is something that we are just now seeing really affect him. Today is the first full day that I have both kids on my own. Well, Peter's at Krista's right now to play with Avery, Hudson, Isaac, Hunter, and Isaiah, but I have him the rest of the day until Andrew gets home. That means that for the first time since Danielle came home from the hospital, he has to share mommy. That's a difficult thing for someone who had Mommy to himself for so long! We have noticed a lot of jealousy and acting out - he isn't obeying at all when I call him or ask him to do something (or stop doing something!), and he is having a HUGE problem with throwing toys at both Danielle and me. I really believe that he is just trying to get attention, and Andrew and I are brainstorming creative ways to discipline when he throws things, hits, sits on Danielle, etc. He really does love her - in fact, he loves her so much sometimes that he is often a little too loving. Then he ends up hurting her. Let's just say that this sibling relationship is a work in progress, and we will continue to be creative with teaching Peter obedience during this transition in his life

1 comment:

Mya and River said...

Hope things are going well with being on your own. We will have to get together when it gets warmer at the park or something. Mya would love Peter! Also, you can give me some advice on this discipline stuff when we have another baby down the road. :)